The Collaboration for Ongoing Visitor Experience Studies (COVES) is designed to unite museums across the country to systematically collect, analyze, and report on visitor experience data.
We envision a collaborative museum community seeking to better understand and improve the visitor experience. We believe that studying the visitor experience in museums can help us learn about our visitors, make evidence-based decisions about services and programming, and respond to challenges, interests, and concerns in a visitor-centered manner.Learn more about COVES View Our Goals
COVES seeks to achieve the following:
- Establish a sustainable, responsive program to support museums* of all sizes and types across the country to engage collaboratively in ongoing visitor experience studies;
- Create a coalition of museums focused on understanding and improving the visitor experience;
- Integrate visitor data collection and analysis across a diverse range of museums in order to build field-wide knowledge and understanding of museum audiences and their experiences;
- Build the evaluation capacity of museums across the nation; and
- Increase and enhance the use of visitor data-based decision-making among museum professionals.
* The COVES initiative initially focused on science centers and now seeks to support museums of all types: anthropology, aquaria, art, history museum or historic site, botanical and zoological, science, natural history, children’s, planetarium, visitor center, and beyond.